Summer has always been my favourite season, especially when it comes to the yummy foods! BBQs, ice creams and all of those fruity cocktails. I love to indulge, and one or two days of splurging isn’t a big deal, but if you enjoy all of your favourite treats all summer long, you end up undoing all of your progress that you made much quicker than you made it!
The past two summers I have worked so hard to get into shape ready to spend three months with Sean in NY. But by September, after all of the alcohol, BBQs and the eating out I’m left feeling very annoyed at myself for undoing all of my progress. This year I have promised myself I won’t let this happen! So here are 10 tips I’m going to try to cut the calories this summer, whilst still enjoying the beautiful season!☀️
1. If you like to make the most of the weather with as many BBQs as you can squeeze in, try opting for turkey burgers without the bun. Or if you’d like the full burger experience, grab a wholewheat sandwich thin, some lettuce, a slice of tomato and a little low fat cheese or mayo!
2. Try having a bowl of tossed salad as an appetiser before dinner. This should fill you up a little so that you don’t over indulge when your main comes.
3. When going out for lunch with the girls you could try getting two appetisers to share instead of a meal each. Then you can enjoy a drink or two without consuming 1000+ calories!
4. Opt for low fat sauces and ALWAYS ask for the dressing on the side so that you can control how much you use.
5. Instead of running to the ice cream van when it comes around, keep some sorbet in the freezer to satisfy your cravings. Or, if it’s available where you are, try Halo Top. The Ice Cream is super yummy, comes in lots of flavours and is under 300 cals for the whole pint!
6. Frozen yogurt covered fruit. Just dip your favourite fruits in a little low fat yogurts and place in the freezer for two hours. This is a nice little snack to have when you’re craving something sweet.
7. Order ‘skinny’ cocktails like gin and (slimline) tonic or flavoured vodka with soda water instead of that bottle of wine. It doesn’t make it any less fun, promise!💃🏼
8. Drink two glasses of water 10 minutes before you eat! This is a trick people everywhere have heard time and time again but for some reason just don’t do (myself included)! It really helps to make you feel fuller so that you don’t over eat!
9. Wrap with lettuce! I actually LOVE this little trick because it’s still so tasty. You can try with tacos, fajitas or just wrap some cold chicken with a little low fat cheese or mayo for a quick easy lunch.
10. Make your own fresh fruit ice lollies! Blend whatever fruit you like with water (or try slimline tonic to give it a little fizz), pour into a mould and freeze!
Hopefully by sticking to these you’ll still be able to enjoy some tasty treats this summer without worrying about losing that bikini bod you worked so hard for!
I’d love to know if you have any others tips you could share with me! Comment below!💞